Surprises are avoidable.
When do budgetary surprises occur? When bad planning happens…
This is not to say that scope never changes in a well planned project. The fact is that when you are planing a project, you know very little about the finish line. It’s a simple fact, but it rings true.
So how can you plan better to avoid surprises?
- Coordinate resources. Find what you have to work with first…
- Talk to relevant parties. If your project involves HR, make sure to talk to them before the project gets started
- Take a step back. Think about your real purpose.
- Have a simple goal, and stick to it
- Fight for empowerment. Ask your boss/partners for the power to make decisions
- Relinquish control. Determine what you can delegate and what you must micro-manage
- Be realistic with milestones