Fundamentals – Where to start
There is an old adage that says, “You can have it good, quick, or cheap -choose two.” It’s a good line, and it sums up something you’ll be wrestling with when starting to build a website.
Our advice is to never compromise on quality, find a way to adjust other aspects of your project.
- If you have a tight budget… shrink your scope, or extend your timeline
- If you have a tight deadline, shrink your scope, or expect to spend more
Scope is either the cause of, or the result of your budget and timeline. As you pull, or push on one piece of your project, expect another part to move accordingly.
If you don’t have a specific scope, timeline, or budget, -start with scope. Budget, and timeline will follow close behind.
For more reading:
- These guys germinated the idea…
- An overly complicated explanation of scope…
A List Apart
- Kottke’s probe into the subject…